The AIT Austrian Institute of Technology is Austria’s largest non-university research institute. With its seven Centers, AIT regards itself as a highly specialised research and development partner for industry.Over 200 experts at the Center for Digital Safety & Security are developing state-of-the-art information and communication technologies to ensure that our systems are highly secure and reliable in the context of comprehensive digitization and global networking.
The Center focuses on the following key technology areas:
- Distributed IT systems and the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Cyber Security for IT and Industrial Control Systems
- State-of-the-art cryptographic methods (Post Quantum Encryption)
- Highly secure and highly available software and systems
- Data Science, Artificial Intelligence (AI), and Blockchain Technologies
- Quantum and photonics technologies
- Highly reliable next generation wireless systems (5G)
- Latest sensor technologies and biometric systems for the protection of critical infrastructures and digital identities
- Digital solutions for modern environmental management and crisis and disaster management
With this technological competence we address different markets, such as the semiconductor industry, the automotive sector, critical infrastructures such as energy network and power plant operators, financial markets, as well as the security sector in the context of critical infrastructure protection, environmental monitoring and crisis and disaster management. Strategic technology research is carried out in close cooperation with industry, science and the public sector, from the development of prototypes to the validation of applications.
The Center has a recognized position in national and international innovation programs such as KIRAS and Horizon Europe and is a shaping part of industry and research initiatives such as QCI Quantum Communication Infrastructure Europe (https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/faq/frequently-asked-questions-quantum-communication-infrastructure), ECSO European Cyber Security Organisation https://www.ecs-org.eu/, PSCE Public Safety Communication Europe http://www.psc-europe.eu/, ECSEL Electronic Components and Systems for European Leadership https://www.ecsel.eu/ and EARTO/EUROTECH Task Force of the European research organisations in the security context http://www.earto.eu/. In this respect, the Center cooperates with international organizations such as the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), The Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSZE), United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC), United Nations Office of Counter-Terrorism (UNOCT), Interpol and Europol, and nationally with the Federal Ministry of the Interior (BMI) and the Federal Ministry of Defence (BMLV).
Further information is available at www.ait.ac.at/dss.